Dates are available throughout the year to accommodate your ideas, so let us arrange a special vacation for you this year. Each of the activities described within this web page may be combined to form a unique vacation of a lifetime, but you'll want to come back year after year.
Below is a guideline for the best time to visit depending on your priorities
- The Anan Wildlife Observatory, which is particularly famous for the access it provides to bear viewing and the only place where one can see both Black and Brown Bear;
- The Stikine River, springtime home to the largest flock of Bald Eagles in the United States, the fastest river ever navigated by steamboat;
- Le Conte Bay and Glacier - with and without a stop in Petersburg. The southernmost tidewater glacier nestled deep within a fjord lined by towering cliffs;
- Access to some of the best Marine Mammal watching in Alaska. Whales, seals, sea lions, sea otters, Harbor Porpoise, Orca, Dall's Porpoise and more. SE Alaska is the home of the famous "bubble net feeding" behavior of Humpback Whales;
- Hiking opportunities in the Tongass National Forest, world's largest temperate rainforest;
- Historic Wrangell itself, origin of John Muir's 1879 steamship voyage up the Stickeen River (as the Stikine was then called) about which he marveled, "A Yosemite 100 miles long."
Whatever your interests -- day trips to the Anan Wildlife Observatory or the lower Stikine River, do-it-yourself kayak or raft trips, or fully guided multi-day trips to Telegraph Creek beyond the Stikine-LeConte Wilderness Area -- we offer quality gear, knowledgeable guides, and extensive experience to make your trip a truly memorable one.
Recreation and Adventure Travel Opportunities
Headquartered in beautiful, historic Wrangell, Alaska Vistas is the organization that can provide custom tours and vacations centered on your special interests including bears, wildlife, glaciers and more.
Here's a short list of just a few of the wildlife and tour opportunities in this extraordinary part of Southeast Alaska:
Reservation & Refund Policy:
We require a 50% deposit at the time of booking, and the balance before departing for your tour. We will gladly refund your deposit (less 3% if made with a credit card) if you need to cancel more than 30 days prior to your tour. If you cancel within 30 days of your tour we will refund your deposit less 10%. There is no charge for date changes and rescheduling your tour. In the unlikely event we at Alaska Vistas must cancel a trip due to unforeseen circumstances, all deposits will of course be refunded fully.